Wednesday, December 5, 2012

"Good luck with that" Part 1: Cloth Diapers

Note: I wrote all of this months ago before Calvin was potty trained. So everything is present tense but he has been out of diapers for months. 


You've probably heard one of these condescending comments before if you have chosen to parent in a way that is "outside the norm".

"That won't last long"
"Good luck with that"
"I did ____ and my kids are fine"
"Ok, but don't feel bad if it doesn't work out because..."
"Your kid is going to be spoiled"

The list goes on and on. People feel like you are attacking their choices if you make a choice that they didn't. I had many friends, family, and even strangers tell me that cloth diapering wouldn't last, that I "might not be able" to breastfeed, that Calvin would never sleep if I didn't sleep train etc. So, two years later I thought I would post an update. A "so how's that going for ya?" kind of thing.

Cloth Diapering
People are full of opinions about this topic. How it's gross, takes so much time, is so much harder, sends your  water bill up etc.
I started part time cloth when Calvin was 4 months old. By the time he was 6 months we were using cloth 90% of the time. Around 11 months old we went to cloth full time. The only bad thing I have to say about cloth, is that I wish I had started sooner!
The realities for me have been:

  • I've saved tons of money
  • I never have to rush out to the store because I'm out of diapers
  • Washing doesn't add much extra laundry. Maybe 2-3 loads a week
  • They're CUTE ;)
  • NO blowouts. Really! I don't have to worry about him having those massive poo explosions all over his clothes. We have had a couple of small leaks (like little wet spots on his pants) if I forget to change him, or if his diaper shifts but never anything massive like we had in disposables.
  • It's not that gross. The reality of being a parent is you have to sometimes deal with poop, pee, vomit, snot, and all those other fun things. It comes along with having a baby. Yes, I sometimes have to deal with a really stinky diaper. But if you are picturing me with my arms in the toilet, covered in poop you totally have the wrong idea. Most of the time (I'd say 90%) when I have to clean a poopy diaper, it just falls out into the toilet and I flush it. No mess, no big deal. And I don't have to worry about taking those rancid diapers outside so they don't stink up the house :)
  • My water bill hasn't changed. 
So, cloth has worked wonderfully for us. It isn't for everyone perhaps, but I CAN and I DID stick with it, and I'm so glad I did! All future babies will be full time cloth, from birth!




No comments:

Post a Comment